This past weekend we drove up to Edmonton to celebrate our niece, Kailey's first birthday, what a party! We had burgers, veggies, salad, cake.... the whole nine yards! She had a Hawaiian/luau theme which worked out really well.Robbie & I went to pick up Colin after work on Friday and we headed out of town immediately following. We were a little nervous going into it because we knew that he wasn't going to nap (he only has 1 nap now which is at noon) so I brought along a milk crate full of toys to try and keep him entertained. We weren't impressed with the amount of traffic and construction that delayed
us (we probably spent about 30mins at a crawl). We arrived at Red Deer at the perfect time, just when I was running out of toys to keep him entertained. We originally had found a McDonald's right by the Highway that had a "Play Place" but as soon as we got inside we realized it was geared towards bigger kids as there was only video games (boooo) We ended up on the north side of town and found a McDonald's that had another Play Place aimed more for the younger kiddies. We got in there & ordered up some dinner, Robbie was so hungry! He ate most of his chicken breast and cheddar cheese, afterwards we let him run around in the play area. They had a mini trampoline that had a net around it so that the kids wouldn't fall off/out, Robbie was so adorable! He was holding onto the net and kept on bouncing/squatting because he was so excited. We spent about 20 mins playing when we realized that it was starting to get late so we got back in the car and hit the road! As it got darker he found it harder to play with his toys which frustrated him. We got some whines and whimpers out of him, but it wasn't too long until he fell asleep. He probably slept for 30mins before we got to Nana's house (around 8:10), there we were greeted with Uncle Brad, Aunt Sharron, Cousin Sydney and Cousin Carson... and Nana, of course! Robbie quickly got a second wind and had fun playing with his cousins. He didn't get to bed until 9:30. We went to bed at 10. At 4:30 our little man woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep, his tooth was really bothering him. So we were all up bright and early! He did go back to sleep at 7:30-9am, it was obvious that it was going to be a 2 nap day. We went to Londondary Mall (which is only a couple of blocks away from Nana's) try and tucker Robbie out so that he'd nap.... NOPE! Everyone was leaving to go to Nan's for Kailey's birthday @ 2 & Robbie had no desire to nap (grrr) So off we went, Nan's house was a good 20-30min drive from where we were & Robbie ended up falling asleep after 10mins of being in the car. Once we got there he was still sawing logs so we opted to leave him in the car so that he could catch up on his much needed sleep. Colin was so cute, he'd go check on Robbie every 2mins... max! He knew that Robbie needed that nap but he just wanted to be there when Robbie woke up. When he finally did wake up, he was not a happy baby. His teeth we
re obviously bothering him, he was a very fussy and needy baby. I was trying to encourage people not to hold him because he was fussing/whining for it.... not a habit that I want him to pick up. Instead we held him while we were sitting on the floor. I gave him some teething tablets, which seemed to help a little bit. He was able to have some dinner and gave some smiles to his relatives but he just wasn't his normal self. Our presents were a hit, with the help of my mom, I made Kailey a poncho... it looks so cute on her! After presents was cake time & then it was time for us to hit the road. We wanted to stick to Robbie's schedule as much as possible seeing as though he was already thrown off from the late bed time the night before. We got back to Nana's house in plenty of time for Robbie to wind down and be able to do our night time routine. Robbie ended up going to bed a little after 8:15. I was practically on my knees begging Colin to go and meet up with his friends, we (especially him) find that when he spend the whole weekend traveling that we don't get to relax (mostly due to the fact of Robbie's inability to settle) and when he goes back to work on Monday he doesn't feel like he had a day or two to relax. So off Colin went to spend some time with his friends while I stayed home with Robbie just in case he woke up. I went to bed at around 9:30 and Colin got in around midnight... at 1:30 Robbie was up like a light! We tried bottle, teething tablets, Tylenol, we even turned on the TV in hopes he'd fall back asleep... nothing worked :( Colin said "Let's just leave" out of frustration, at first I thought don't be silly; then I started thinking about it, we're leaving today & I know he'll fall asleep in the car seat! Colin can sleep in the back seat while I drive. So we talked about it and both agreed that if we stayed we'd be up f
or a long time and would be even more sleep deprived than we already were. So we packed all of our stuff and off we went, as soon as we hit the highway Robbie was out. He woke up a couple of times and we gave him some teething tablets and that did the trick, he fell right back asleep. I drove fairly slow on the way home, I wanted to make sure that both my boys got a decent sleep, we got into town @ 6am. Robbie was still sleeping but woke up once we took him out of the car seat, we gave him a bottle with some teething tablets in it and put him to bed.... he slept 'til 9! YAY! What seemed like a crazy comment in the beginning was the best idea!! I took Robbie to the grocery store to let Colin have some time to himself... that afternoon we welcomed (with great excitement & relief) Robbie's 6th tooth!
This trip we have discovered that our little man isn't ready to travel, when he wakes up in his own room he's able to put himself to back to sleep but when he's in someone elses home he's unable to; which in turn puts stress on us to try and get him to go back to sleep, to keep him quiet, to entertain him at all hours of the night/morning, etc. I've tried to explain what kind of stress we get put through and what kind of an ordeal we had.... no one seems to grasp it, I guess you can understand it unless you're in out shoes. It sucks, but this experience is going to play a factor on our next trips. We're just really hoping that Red Deer works out... it would be so much easier on us.
*sorry, I haven't had a chance to read it over. I hope it makes sense*


No comments:
Post a Comment