Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Birthday Celebrations


Well there's a lot that has been going on this past week & I'll do my best to update everyone.

The week before Robbie's actual birthday Grammy and Grampy had us over for a birthday BBQ for Robbie as they were going to be out of town for a wedding on his actual birthday. We had a wonderful time visiting with Grammy, Grampy, "Great" Uncle Paul (who drove from Halifax to Calgary), Auntie Alison, "Uncle" Steve Parr, and Jenn (Alison's roommate). Robbie is such a lucky guy, he got so many cool things! The Grandparents gave him a ton of clothes, a singing/blinking frog. Auntie Alison (who didn't know that she'd be going up to Edmonton the following week, so opted to do presents this weekend) gave Robbie his own personalized bowl, fork and spoon! Along with that she got him this really cool zebra sits on a base that bounces, swivels, blinks and sings... needless to say it's a big hit with Robbie! Steve Parr got Robbie his first dump truck and fire truck! Robbie loves to drive them back and forth and he makes his own "vroom" sound (sounds more like a gargling "grrrrrr"). Jenn got Robbie some books from his favorite author! He loves looking at all the pictures and helping me flip the pages =)

Fast forward to Friday... my monkey's birthday. When Robbie woke up @ 6:30 we got him dressed and fed & then headed to Vibe's radio station. The DJ's asked us to come by because they wanted to have a mini birthday party for him. They had gotten him a strawberry shortcake, a birthday card and a case of Jone's pop (I think we'll be drinking it ;) ) This was Robbie's first taste of cake, the initial piece of cake that went into his mouth was spit right back out.... maybe it was the texture that he didn't like? I let him savour the taste of the cake and offered it to him again, he opened his mouth and was quite happy chomping on the cake.




After visiting with them we headed home for a nap, unfortunately Robbie only got to nap for about 30-40 mins when I had to wake him up for his 1yr doctors appointment. As you saw from my previous post, Robbie's over 25lbs now! The doctor's really happy with his development, he's understanding some of our words, he's learning words and he's mobile! We talked about his nut status, she's sending us for another (this will be the 3rd) ultrasound and we're being referred to a general surgeon. I asked her if surgery is imminent... she said it's totally up to the surgeon, if he thinks that it may descend then he might wait until he's 2, but if it's high up & he doesn't think it won't budge naturally he'll book us in for surgery & it'll be a matter of weeks before "the" day. From what I understand it's a day surgery, he's in & out the same day & recovery time is very fast. The Dr said that babies heal incredibly fast & that he'd be back to his normal self in no time.

On to happier stories!

On that same day, Auntie Alison came to pick us up @ 3:30 and off we went to the airport to catch our flight up to Edmonton. We opted to fly for this trip so that it wouldn't be as stressful on Colin & I, seeing as thought I still had a lot of baking to do that night we figured it'd be a lot easier for us to fly. We hopped onto our plane & off we went, we were quite lucky to get a whole row to ourselves so Robbie was able to crawl back & forth, there was no problem whatsoever with the take off and landing. Once we landed we went to pick up our rental car & we were off to Nana's house! Shorty after we arrived Nan, Auntie Shari & Cousin Kailey came to visit us! Robbie had a blast with Kailey - stealing her toys, touching her hand and just crawling around while she looked at him with a "what planet did you come from?" face, it was really cute! Once they left for the night we started Robbie's bed time routine & he was out for the night.... and my night just started! We ran over to Save-On to get the essentials for making a cake, once we got all the goodies we headed back to Nana's. I was up baking until about midnight before calling it a night. Robbie woke up at 4 that morning, we gave him a little bottle and he went back to sleep until 7! We spent the morning entertaining Robbie and feeding him, when he went down for his first nap @ 10:30 I started the decorating portion of his cake. I am so proud that I was able to create for his big day! We had a Curious George theme so it made sense that I make a Curious George cake! I made a circular cake w/ George's face and made a smash cake in the shape of a banana for Robbie. Around 2 o'clock everyone started filing in and the party began. Chris (one our groomsmen) and Lesley arrived, then Nan & Auntie Shari, then Uncle Paul and Auntie Alison, then Auntie Shar, Uncle Ron & Cousin Julie and finally Uncle Brad, Aunt Sharron, Cousin Carson and Sydney! We had a great time catching up and watching the little ones play. Chris and Lesley had to leave early so we opened up their present first, they got Robbie this enormous inflatable ball room with 75 soft balls. The kids had a good time gnawing on the balls and sitting in the inflatable "jungle". Robbie was getting tired so we put him down for a nap (much to the dismay of some people) he only ended up napping for about an hour, though. Once he woke up we opened up the rest of the presents! He got so much cool stuff- clothes, books, electronic books, cross stitch, an electric drum... the list goes on and on! He is one lucky little boy. After the presents were opened we brought out the cakes and sang happy birthday to him. We set up the high chair in the middle of the living room with a plastic mat around the high chair and set him free to go wild on his smash cake. We were all amazed about how gentle and cautious he was with the cake, he spent several minutes sticking his finger into the cake and licking it off to get a taste of what was in store. He slowly started grabbing bigger handfuls and shoved them into his mouth. While he was eating his cake I was cutting the other cake for the older kids, by the time we were done eating he was ready to get out of the high chair and wanted to boogie. Robbie & I made a quick detour to the bath to wash off all the cake and icing and then he was back with the rest of the group. Nan, Auntie Shari & Cousin Kailey were the first ones to leave because they wanted to get back in time for Kailey's bed time... they left just a little bit too early, just a couple minutes after they left Robbie started walking for everyone! He literally took 20 steps walking from one end of the living room to the other! Everyone froze and was cheering him on as he took one step after another. Talk about proud parents! He did it at a perfect time, everyone was about to leave and what a memorable way to say good-bye to everyone! That night Robbie slept like a log & didn't wake up until 7.

The next day we went out for lunch with Nana, Uncle Paul and Auntie Alison before we left to go to the airport. On our way to the airport Robbie fell asleep for his 2nd nap, we had to wake him up so that we could get checked in and make it in time for our flight. Unfortunately once we checked in we were told that our plane was a little over an hour delayed, we were so ticked. We woke up our baby from a nap so that we could get on this plane and now we had to wait for over an hour with this cranky baby (he was still tired). When the plane was finally ready to board we made sure that we were the last ones on the plane so that we wouldn't have to wait very long before we departed... boy were we wrong! I don't know what they were doing, but everyone was seated, none of the flight attendants were in the cabin and the air wasn't being pushed out through the vents. So I had a tired, hot and crammed baby that was really hard to handle (the flight was full so we didn't even get a full row to ourselves) I was ticked! Finally we took off and Colin & I were tested numerous times with our patience. Robbie was not happy and he let it be known! We finally landed and we sat on the tarmac for at least 5 mins while (I assume) the air traffic controllers forgot about us. We sat there as a plane flew by and then we continued to sit there! WHY? I have no idea.... my child was whaling and there was nothing I could do to console him. We finally got off the plane and got home & he had a great sleep that night.



On Tuesday we went for his 1 year shots. They weighed him with his clothes on: 26lbs 3 oz. We went in to see the nurse and she plotted his weight and height on his graph. Robbie's in the 90th percentile for weight and 55th percentile with height. She showed me that he was off the chart with his BMI (body mass index) and I wasn't happy to see it. The nurse said she wasn't worried because he's obviously quite happy and very active, but she gave me some good tips. He should be having more solids than milk & we should try to eliminate the bottle now. Colin & I have agreed to eliminate 3 bottles (which equal 14oz) and we'll slowly wean him down to one bottle (for bed time). I wish I had known that the needles were going to be in his arm this time, I wouldn't have put him in a long sleeved shirt! One needle in one arm and then I had to turn him around for the second needle in the other arm. The poor little guy did not like it, thankfully she had a bell that she gave to Robbie and it took his mind off of the pain and he started smiling and shaking the bell back and forth. The nurse also mentioned to me that he's ready to be forward facing in the car, I asked her if I had to. He's obviously safer being rear facing and she said that he can stay rear facing as long as he comfortable. Colin & I are going to talk about what we want to do, it's obviously safer to be rear facing but at the same time... it's a lot easier to console him when he's forward facing.



Phew. I think I've covered everything. This weekend we've got a wedding to go to & then everything will be done. No more plans! We're so excited to have a weekend to ourselves!!!

No comments: